Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Thinking pink to prove a point

I’m still trying to piece together what, exactly, happened in St. George involving the assault of a gay couple.
But I can tell you this: it can’t happen again.
What’s more bothersome is that it seems to have stemmed from what the victim says were systemic incidents at Fundy High School, where he “came out” while in Grade 11.
He's graduated now, but says he doesn't want to come home, for fear of persecution by, well, bigots. Those are my words, not his.
As of the writing of this missive, I have left two phone requests for an interview with the principal of Fundy High School to address the state of homophobic bullying at FHS – with no response.
This would be the same school subject to some serious backlash last year when parents effectively muzzled a day aimed at preventing homophobic-triggered violence.
Now, it’s none of my business who sleeps with who in this community: that’s not something I’m interested in, nor something The Courier should care about.
But it is my business, I feel, as a visible figure in this community, to take notice when one of our citizens is treated unfairly, unjustly.
And this is one of them.
On Thursday evening, Fundy High School is hosting a community event. I have been invited. And I shall arrive – but I shall, tomorrow, wear a nice shirt. A nice pink shirt. I’m even going to buy a nice pink tie. And, if I can find one, I’ll also obtain a nice, glittery effeminate ear-ring.
I have no insecurities or questions over my sexuality, my sexual preference or any of those such things. And even if I did, I’m certainly not so much of a coward that I’d gather a few of my like-minded (narrow-minded) bigot friends and beat the snot out of someone who felt the urge to bed someone of a similar sex.
I don’t know who the cowards involved in the weekend assault are, exactly. But consider this an open invitation to step forward and show a little courage. Put your names in the newspaper, if you dare, and tell us all what moved you to track down a gay man and make his life miserable. In the meantime, I figure the least I can do don a wardrobe that might show the small-minded and bigoted of the county that they aren’t going to win.
Given some of the rabidly anti-homophobic comments I fielded when the Courier covered the rainbow flag issue earlier this spring, this may become my official St. George attire.
We in this community need to show those bigots who might be a bit upset over trifling things like sexual preference that violence cannot, must not be a part of our society.
So tomorrow, I’m wearing a whole bunch of pink.
Who’s with me?
And who’s got a really, really girly earring I can borrow?

No comments: